We are shocked and concerned by the violence among factions of the SPLA and tribal leaders that has taken hold in South Sudan. The beneficiary of this violence, this mistrust and resentment, is the Khartoum Regime which has spent decades fostering division. Together, the marginalized peoples of Sudan and South Sudan can overcome. Divided against one another, all are weakened. Unity brings hope, prosperity, and a bright future.
- An immediate cessation of violence by factions of the SPLA and tribal representatives;
- Governmental leaders truly open their ears to listen to the concerns of those who are suffering;
- All South Sudanese look into the eyes of others and see fellow human beings who are also living with the hope in their heart for a better future for themselves and their families
- Recognition that Unity is the best path to justice, equality, liberty and peace; and that
- The government must, working with all minorities in the state, strive to promote freedom, dignity, and a sense of well-being for all of its citizens.
We in America know very well the value of “E Pluribus Unum,” “Out of Many, One.” That is what it means to forge a new nation made up of smaller ones. That is the conflict faced in Sudan and South Sudan. The enemy is disunity.
It is time to unite!